Sunday, August 16, 2009

Re-entry Things To Do

I'm taking the sage advice of Kathleen Duey, who is glorious both in presence and in person. She was the last keynote speaker at the Summer 2009 SCBWI Conference in LA.

(This is the conference where I took the master's class with Linda Sue Park, by the way--the whole reason for starting this blog and finishing [almost] my novel draft. More on that class to come.)

Here is my interpretation of what Kathleen advised:
  • Write down bits of conversation you enjoyed--to help deepen your relationships with the people you enjoyed meeting.
  • Annotate your notes--as soon as possible. (This is such good advice that I spent much of my three-day train trip home doing just that.)
  • Write on the back of every business card you receive. If you're like me, you'll have to learn this the hard way. I have a huge stack of cards, and I'm doing internet searches to "friend" and "follow" them (on Facebook and Twitter). It's easier to push through the technology when I've made a note that reminds me when and how I met the human whom the card represents.
  • Send thank-you notes. If you've met an author or editor or agent who spent a few minutes connecting with you, deepen that connection by letting her know you appreciate her time and wisdom.
  • Get on Twitter. I know. I resisted, too. But honestly, just do it. (Six Reasons Why Every New Writer Should be on Twitter) Where did I find this article? By following @Inkyelbows on Twitter. In fact, make it easy on yourself to start: 1) Create twitter account at Twitter.com. 2) Follow @Inkyelbows (www.inkygirl.com). After that, just follow your heart.
  • Print out the gems you hear and put them on your wall. (Or on your Facebook wall.)
  • Google all things that make no sense to you. (This may include, for examle, "tweet deck.")
  • Explain your intent to all your loved ones. Build social support.
This last one is hard, but I think it's the most important. Do you guys find it hard to ask for support?

1 comment:

  1. Kathleen Duey is amazing! I was fortunate enough to spend a weekend at an Arkansas retreat with her as the speaker. She had recently gotten the contract for the book that later earned her a nomination for the National Book Award.

    I really like the idea of annotating notes.

    ReplyDelete